Gun Milan is one of the most important key factor in Hindu marriages because, Hindu marriages are still performed as per the Vedic tradition , atleast 36 Gunas are the aspects that need to be considered at the time Gun Milan of the bride and groom to ascertain their capability with each other.
Based on the birth constellations, the following aspects are examined Varna, Vashya, Tara, Yoni, Gana, Graha Maitri, Bhakoota, Nadi, Mahendra, Vedha, Rajju, Stree Deergha, Linga, Gotra, Varga and Yujja for checking compatibility.
The Hindu/Indian system of examining compatibility based on horoscopes of the aspirant couple is unique. The fundamental concept of matching horoscopes emanates from constellations occupied by the Ascendant/Lagna (Lagna) at the time of births of bride and bridegroom. Individuals inherit qualities of the birth constellation. Various constellations represent different nature in respect of their casts, animals presented by them, sex, Gana (God/man/demon), humour, birds ruled, primordial elements, Gotra, directions ruled, consonants and vowels, mutual harmony and repulsion with certain stars, beneficence to the other stars by virtue of mutual distance etc.
In another system, only eight of these factors are given importance and are assigned numeric values – Varna (1 point), Vashya (2 Points), Tara (3 points), Yoni (4 points), Graha Maitri (5 points), Gana (6 points), Bhakoota (7 points) and Nadi (8 points). The total of these factors adds up to 36 points and a horoscope is considered to be matched only if the compatibility score is more than 18.
Significance of various aspects in compatibility are as follows:
- Varna: Grade of spiritual development, obedience
- Vashya: Mutual control – friendship.
- Tara: Mutual beneficence-luck-auspiciousness
- Yoni: Sexual aspects, affinity, urge, compatibility.
- Graha Maitri: Psychological disposition, friendship.
- Gana: Nature: Dev – Manush – Raakshas
- Bhakoota: Children, growth of family.
- Nadi: Temperaments, hereditary (astrological), affliction and death to other
- Mahendra: Promotes attachments, increase in longevity.
- Stree – Dergha: Service to husband.
- Rajju: Felicity and duration of married life.
- Vedha – Varga: Mutual repellence and enmity.
- Varga: Mutual friendship/enmity judged from their names
- Yujja: Type of mutual love – from one side – both sides.